Wednesday, January 16, 2013

you shall not change me

Is that me?
unsure and timid?
cowering in the dark
at that slight sound
a shadow

Is that me?
Relieved that i do not travel alone?
In the city that i have grown up in?
Being told to be back home at eight?
feeling relieved when i get into my car
And shut out the world?

Is that me?
rolling up my window at night
haven't felt that wind on my face in so long
haven't tasted freedom
since you decided when i should step out
and when i should not
i was unbound
till you told me where my limits lay
i was wild and spirited
till you told me i needed to be punished

Is that me?
as defined by you...

but i promise, you shall not change me
i promise that i shall reclaim my being
my body
my world
my space
my city
my 'ME'

there shall be one day
when i shall roam as i used to
when i shall be as i used to be
when the world will again be my oyster
when my life will be the blessing i used to see it to be
and when a girl being born in this world
shall not curse her fate
for being born so

you shall not change me...

No comments: